1

A day in the life of an Egyptian worker

boat

In week 3, Year 4 moved on to studying the civilization of the Ancient Egyptians. We learnt about how the pyramids were built, and watched a video about the life of an Egyptian worker.

In Literacy we imagined ourselves as that worker, and wrote a first person account of our experiences. We focused particularly on the experience of being drafted from among the ordinary farmers and fisherman of the Nile and taken away to labour on the construction site and quarry.

One of the most impressive contributions came from James. He had many powerful ideas during our lessons but the best example, taken from his independent writing, is included below.

“As my boat glided along the glittering silver river, I thought about my family and tried to look back and see my small, muddy village I had come from, but it was just a tiny dot disappearing in the distance behind me.”

year4cfs

One Comment

1. Wow, James! Your description of the boat journeying away from the village is really impressive. I hope you’re going to enter the Radio 2 500 Words competition?